Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Friday, January 28, 2011

"You can live in my room"

Hello Friends and Family,

This week I was told by a man that I could come live in his room and cook for him forever. For the first time I wasn't disgusted by this because the truth is it really wasn't a man but rather a boy who had just turned four years old!! I work with his mother and she brought him in for a few hours after school. I spent the last part of my work blowing bubbles with him and chasing him around. I told him I was going to steal him and bring him home but then he told me I didn't have to steal him I could just take him. His mother just laughed.

This week was a good week and was on the upswing from last week. Work at the hospital was rather slow this week because two of the doctors were out but I did get to spend a lot of time working closely with my boss on some projects for her. I had to create a new power point presentation for HIV ART adherence. It was a good project to keep me occupied for a while. Once I finished the presentation I was informed that I would also have to give it. I laughed at this because I hate speaking in front of people. It ended up going really well and I got a lot of good questions. The program nurse was also there so she helped me explain things when I had a hard time thinking of a good way to explain.

Going back to school was good. I find that living in Guyana has taught me much much patience. I worked with a boy this week to figure out how to double click and how to use the backspace button. He has a really difficult time with school and I spent about an hour working on these two simple items. At many points I started to become frustrated... It was a good reality check for myself. Just because I can get something quick doesn't mean that I need to demean or get frustrated with someone who can't. I still have a long way to go when it comes to patience - but I feel this young man will really help me on my journey.

On Wednesday I got done with work early at the hospital because there were no patients and none coming in. I decided to run up to the orphanage because its the same bus that I take home and I got to see the boys. One of my little nursery boys ran and jumped into my arms and said "Miss, please take me home with you again". Ever since we had them at our house they want to come again. It is so hard to say no to them when so badly you wish you could just take them all. However this is completely ridiculous as our house would be destroyed within five minutes. One of the boys who is especially attached to me was sitting with me and another volunteer was lifting some boys up so they could jump high and he ran over to her. He looked back at me with a look that said "ha ha - look I have a new friend" I turned away and immediately I heard running foot steps and some hands around my leg. He said "Miss Miss - I'm just kidding!!!". I will never be able to show them as much love as they show me.

I can't believe that I have been here 5 months already. When I talked to my mom the other day she said it felt like two years already, however to me it feels like about 2 months. Each day goes by so quickly!! I've decided I need to start making goals of things I want to do or see before I leave because before you know it I will be back home.

I was talking to a friend in the park today about money. He was telling me how he feels like people who have a lot of money are really snotty and harsh. He said that its not because they have the money but because they don't share. Audrey, Sarah and I did some reflecting this week and we thought about how lucky and fortunate we were... However this was not about our lives in America but rather out lives in Guyana. We made a decision to live simply and we do - however we still have a t.v., we still have food in our fridge, locks and bolts on our doors, water, and clothes on our backs. I feel that these past five months have changed my perspective of privileged. I feel I need to make conscious decisions to live more simply in order to focus on the attachment I have to money. Money will never bring me happiness - but it is also necessary in my life. I feel that my experience in Guyana has taught me to view money in a different light. Its such a touchy and complex issue that when discussing it conversations can often become heated. I guess maybe that is why I am glad my mother and grandmother brought me up the way they did. They always taught me to be generous and share even when I may not have had as much as I would have liked. There lessons still ring strong here and convict me... Mothers always know best right.

I think that reflecting on generosity reminds me a lot of my family. Often times when I thought about the support I would find in Guyana I thought about the friends that would send me letters. However - I would say my family has been overwhelmingly supportive. Whether it is cards from aunts and uncles or e-mails to even a small simple packages from my grandparents it helps me to remember the support system I came from. I will always be grateful for the generosity from my family.

Anyway, Have a great week - I am looking forward to a fun weekend!!!

Love,

Ashley Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment