Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Friday, May 25, 2012

What goes around comes around!

It's officially almost the end of may which means it's almost my BIRTHDAY! Who's excited to raise the roof?!? Okay maybe not really but we are having a get together of friends tomorrow to celebrate the beginning of my 24th year of life!!

We had open day at school this Wednesday which meant that on Tuesday we had to get our classrooms ready for other schools to come and see. I had some old printers in the corner of my room that had been sitting there since the beginning of my time in Guyana. I had some of the boys move it so that the room would look nicer and as soon as their hands touched it, it literally shattered. I'm pretty sure the printer was as old as I am but it was hilarious to see the look on their face like: "Whhhaaaa I didn't do it!!!". Also I had an extra desk and about 10 extra chairs thrown at me that morning and was told: "Fit this in and make it look nice!!!". Well luckily I have 11 lovely girls in the morning who were easily bribed by sweeties to help me make the room look wonderful! I really love the girls I work with.

I had to go shopping on Wednesday to get a few different things and shopping in Guyana always truly makes me miss being home. I am not very fond of walking into stores, having someone follow me and also having someone tell me if they think the item I pick up is going to be too big or too small. I actually find myself avoid stores that have male sales clerks because I really just can't handle all the one on one attention when I have a terrible time making any decisions. I can't wait to be lost in a store alone picking out my own clothes without the mindless commentary!

As I realize that I only have a little bit more than two months left I feel like i'm starting to feel like I did at the beginning. I enjoy the little things of everyday that I had been taking for granted the past few months. Life is always more enjoyable when you find the small little things enjoyable - too bad it takes transition for me to remember.

Guyana is currently having a chicken shortage which means that chicken is really scarce and when you do find it it's expensive. We needed  to get chicken for my birthday get together and it was starting to stress me out. We were calling around different places and everyone said there were out. We finally called one store and they said they had some so we said we were coming. When we got to the store the ended up telling me that they didn't have any and I got frustrated. Then a young man who I knew walked out and started to talk to me. His mother was in the hospital for various reasons and every time I would pass him in the hall I would talk with him and see how he was doing. He ended up being the supervisor for this store and he told me to hold on. He went into the back and came out with a small slip of paper and told me to bring it up to the register and I would get the chicken I needed. I was so unbelievably relieved!! So many times I would walk by him at the hospital in a rush and still stop and at that moment I realized how important it is to give people your time. It's not just because he did me a favor in return but because he seemed so glad to do it. It truly pays to be nice to people not just because of what you receive in return but because of the connection you find with the person. I've been back to the store since and I can tell you every time I walk in I get excited to see my friend because his kindness always brings a smile to my face.

I need to wish my Auntie Annie a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY tomorrow!!!! I can't wait to go home and spent quality time with her in her scrap booking room!! My sister and I always say that her and my uncle Warren have adopted us as our second set of parents. I wish that I was in Ely to share a wonderful Angel food cake with strawberries that I'm sure my grandmother has made for my aunt. :) My aunt is such a kind and funny person I am blessed to have her so close to me when I am home!




Love and prayers,

Ashley Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment