Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

White Trash

Happy Belated Halloween!!!

I hope you all have had smooth transition into the month of November. In Guyana the date is written Day/Month/Year and I can tell you that November is always tricky writing /11/11 my dashes and ones get messed up, and well i've made a mess of some of the hospital paperwork already. haha : )

Last Monday we had a Halloween party for some of friends. It was just a laid back night where we all dressed up, had some cook up and channa, played games and some music. I've always liked coming up with creative/literal costumes for Halloween and this year I went as "white trash". I dressed up in a trash bag and made it into a shirt. I made a bunch of jewelery out of bottle caps and used aluminum foil. It was by far an interesting costume. There were people dressed up as zombies, Vybes Kartel, Sponge bob, Pirates, and anyone who didn't wear a costume had to put on one of our skirts over their clothes!! Three different men ended up wearing some pretty colorful skirts!! :)

There is a small cafe near our house and this week I ended up visiting it three times. On tuesday after work one of my friends showed up at my house and asked me what I was up to. I said nothing so they asked me if I wanted to go grab a coffee. We ended up chatting for quite some time and it made me thankful for the friendships that  I have developed here. Sometimes just being with someone can make everything better even though no solution is created. Wednesday night I once again went with a friend where I ended up having a quite interesting debate about the topic of abortion. The individual brought the topic up out of no where and to be honest at the end of the conversation I felt like we had gotten no where. I firmly believe that if you are going to have a discussion on such a hot item - you need to listen to the other persons opinion. Sometimes I think we forget that just because we listen to someone else doesn't mean we need to believe what they tell us. My last trip to the coffee shop was with two girls and we just sat around and relaxed after both having a stressful day at work. Wandering conversations can be healing for the soul.

At work this week we had a small test in my class. I have always told my students how they don't need to be able to read or write well to do well on my tests - but they just need to pay attention and try hard. One of the classes in particular had test scores that shocked me. The students who are normally the most low preforming and have a very low reading level ended up getting some of the highest grades in my class. The students who have little problem reading and writing ended up getting scores WAY below satisfaction. It made me realize that sometimes when you think you are good at something you don't put the effort in. I was so proud of my few students who I knew had actually paid attention, asked questions, and really made the effort to do well. Never underestimate the ability of your students. They have taught me they all have great capabilities its just that they need the information presented to them so that they are able to grasp it.


The month of November is always a great month to take time to find things that we are thankful for. I guess the first set of Thanks this month that I would like to share is being thankful for having a purpose in my life right now. Even as I worked at the hospital this week I just felt good to be what I was doing. I am sure I could come up with a million little stories each week of why I love what I am doing. To have patients look forward to seeing you again or even just to make someone smile makes each day at work something to look forward to. Also of course my students. I had them help me do an ultra cleaning of my computer room this week and I didn't even have to try that hard to convince them. They may have done more talking than cleaning but I can tell they just enjoy being around and being able to have someone listen to them.

Well anyway, I have had a crazy busy week when it comes to work and socializing and even as I write this I have a few more things to get done.

Love and prayers,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment