Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Whats with all the noise?!?!

Hello Everyone!!

I guess that I need to start my blog with an apology that I had been kind of slack at my once a week post always before Sunday - I was scolded recently, so I promise to try and do better! :) 

I sometimes wonder how life always goes by so quickly, I feel like it was just yesterday that I sat down to write my last blog and I realize that a whole week has actually gone by. This week was a really good week. Last weekend was a lot of fun. Saturday morning I was just hanging around my house wondering what I was going to do for the day when my friend Andrew ended up outside of my house. We ended up hanging out for the entire afternoon, joined up with some other friends, and eventually went to a party that night for one of our friends Marcia. I had kind of been sulky that morning for several different reasons and having someone come by just to see how I was doing and what I was up to made a ton of difference in my attitude. It was a big reminder for me on how important it is to find joy relying on and enjoying the company of other people. 

Sunday I went to Guy-expo again. I ended up walking around with a student from last year and we had a good time just window shopping. I am not a big fan of big craft type fairs like that because I get distracted really easily, but in the end it was still a good time. I was glad to reconnect with her and just catch up on how her life was going. She now has a job at a day care which she seems to enjoy and it brought some re-affirmation that the work we are doing does have fruit in getting these students a job!!

This week at the hospital was VERY LOUD. They have started to do construction on the floor above my office and all week we heard jackhammers and saws. On Wednesday I had to leave my office a few times and go to a different part of the hospital just to keep my sanity. It was hard to do my job when I had to talk over a jackhammer. I am hoping by monday they will be done with all the very loud work. 

On Wednesday I had an appointment set up with a patient at 7:45 am, they ended up coming to the hospital at 3:45 pm as I was on my way out of the compound. I thought about it for a second and ended up going back and talking with her. It was a really complicated story which kept her back from the clinic and in the end I thought to myself - whether you have an excuse or not I'm going to come and finish this education thing with you so might as well just spare yourself the stress of explaining the entire story. Gotta give people grace sometimes...

Today we had school sports for Mercy Wings. It was really good because I basically just got to stand around and take pictures of the students. I always enjoy school sports day because its like a day of work, but its also kind of like a day off. I got to watch them run, eat good food for free, and interact with a lot of different people. I hope to post up some pictures of my students running sometime soon. This year we had a couple of good athletes but nothing compared to the year before. Although we didn't have the high achievement we did still have a great time. I would have to say that they all had really great attitudes and laughed at almost everything which made the day have very little stress. 


Anyway, I came here after being at sports day and I am just exhausted from the sun. I kept putting on tons and tons of sunscreen, drinking water, but no matter what this tropical sun always take the energy out of you. 

I feel like this quote describes a lot of what I have been thinking this week. A lot of the struggles I see around me and a lot of the injustice that is faced is because people are being used as objects rather than being treated with their full dignity. We forget the worth of each other and treat people the same way we treat objects without emotions or a soul. The very first lecture I gave to my students in my computer class was about how even though learning about computers and how they are used is good - computers and technology can never replace real people. A friend on facebook is not even comparable to a friendship based on face to face communication. 

Enjoy the fall colors for me - I sure am missing the leaves and how they are changing. 

Love, 

Ashley Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment