Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Love = Mangos and Bananas

Hello Friends and Family,

Last friday I ended up spending an hour of my time at the main branch of the post office here in Georgetown. Now, that sounds like a long time - but the truth of the matter is if you have a package waiting for you one hour could be considered a blessing. I know some people who have had a 2+ hour journey. I got two packages one from Kelsey which was a beautiful bracelet and a mystery box from my Auntie Deb.

As I was watching this box I was wondering what could possibly be inside. Although I really wanted to open it I decided it would be better and safer to wait until I got all the way home before I busted open the box. When I got home I was pretty excited about everything that was inside - but one thing that really sparked my interest was the book: Heaven is for real. I was interested into what the book would be about but by that time I already had to run off to work. I had a long but good day at work and was excited to come home and read the book. I ended up sitting down at four pm and didn't move until six pm when I had finished the book. It really hit me hard and God must have inspired my aunt to buy just the right book because it was just what I needed.

Although it is typical for me to get completely absorbed in a book I just couldn't put this book down. It wasn't even close to the best book i've ever read - but it was the best book that I could have read at that time. It is about a little boy who has an experience of heaven. I don't have enough confidence in the fact that heaven actually exists. I think of heaven as a place that I hope exists but my hope is terribly week. To hear a young boy be so confident in heaven was inspiring and made me realize that I have so much to learn in life.


One of my favorite parts of the book is when the young boys talks about how Jesus emphasized how much he loves little children. I kept thinking about that yesterday after work because I went up to play with the orphanage boys for an hour or so after work. I was sitting on the edge of the play field just kind of watching them and I ended up being some type of "safe zone" for the nursery boys who were playing tag. They would start running towards me and jump into my arms so other boys couldn't tag them. They are all so affectionate when they want to be. At one point one of the little boys was laying in the field crying - now this sometimes happens and in two seconds they are running around again fine, so I gave it a couple of seconds before I started to move. Then I thought :"What ever you do to the least of my people you have done unto Me". I went and picked Jr. up and asked him what was wrong. Of course he didn't respond but just clung to me for dear life. After a while he told me what was wrong and a little bit later he felt better so I tickled him to get him smiling and then set him down to go and continue playing. The book reminded me of the simple truth of how much God loves the little children - yet so many people in the world don't share that same deep love.

The week for the whole was pretty typical. We had school sports on thursday but I stayed at the school to teach the students who were to stay behind. In the end it wasn't so much teaching as supervised free time because I had so few students.

Yesterday I was at the hospital and I ended up having a lot of interesting characters. The first one was talking to me about how God is going to cure her from her HIV. She then said but if he doesn't - I still am faithful that everything is for a reason, and He is the source of all my good. Even if you think she is crazy for her beliefs I give her credit for her passion. Either be hot or be cold - do not be lukewarm.

Another woman came in not to long after her wanting an HIV test. After I began explaining to her what HIV was she ended up laughing and telling me how she hadn't had sex in over 20 years and was almost 80. She didn't know it was an STD. Before she left she handed me a pamphlet to look at about her religious organization and I asked if I could keep it when she said to me: "Of course you can keep it: You show people the path of God and you will be blessed." I thanked her as she exited my office and thought to myself: "Wow Ashley, you have a lot of lessons to learn on faithfulness".

At the end of the day at the orphanage yesterday one of the boys Ramario asked me for my rings. And this is how the conversation went -
Ramario: "Miss pwease for one ov ur rings"
Me: "No Ramario, sorry they are mine"
Ramario: "Pweare for your ears ings."
Me: "No Ramario sorry all I have to give you is my love"
Ramario: "Ahhh...." (Sad face)

I started to laugh on the inside because I thought to myself: In my life God is me and I am Ramario. Always asking for shiny things and not being satisfied at all by love. These boys are always teaching me lessons.

One more funny dialog from my week:

Me: "Bye boys"
Wendell comes running and jumps into my arms for a hug
Me: "Bye Wendell, wheres my kiss?"
Wendell kisses me then smiles at me
Me: "You know I love you Wendell"
Wendell: "Please bring me a sweetie"
Me: "You think love means sweeties?"
Wendell thinks hard then says:
"Well, then please bring me a banana" .... "Or a mango"

Haha!!!!  I laughed the whole way out. These boys really do bring joy into my life.

Wishing you all the best. Love and Prayers,

Ashley Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment