Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Who wouldda thunk?!

Dear Friends and Family,

It's been a while since I last wrote because I have been busy writing my one year blog and now I forget what has happened in my life!!!

I guess that the past few weeks have been testing the waters with my new students at Mercy Wings. I always get the impression that they are sweet and kind but I know that soon enough they will start to show their true colors and that really has begun to happen. This year I realized how important it is for me to start off teaching with a disciplined classroom. The boys now understand that I really mean business and that they shouldn't mess around in my class or they get no liberty. I sometimes wonder where I learned all of this confidence that I have. The other day a student got right in my face and I didn't back down at all and then I let him know his place and I haven't had a hard time with him since. As soon as all the boys left the room I couldn't help but laugh because I felt like a completely different person.

On monday afternoon I went to help in the ADP (Adolescent development program) room and there is a new teacher there. The boys were all acting out of line and I got up in front of class once she signaled for me and I asked them all if that was how they behaved in my class - immediately they all began to tell each other to shut up and sit up right. I almost cracked because I never thought I would hold any sort of authority. It really is true... fake it til you make it. A year ago I was the lost teacher with a room full of crazy students and now I am the teacher getting them under control... who woulda thunk.

Work at the hospital has been especially good. I have a recently new workmate Terese who has brought a lot of joy into my life. With her around the office there just seems to be an extra added level of peace. Also she is around my age which means sometimes when I am trying to escape typical office drama I can go find her and we can sit in our little filing corner and talk about mindless things like twitter, boys, and good food! :) Terese left back some of her AMAZING lunch for me today and I was very grateful for that. The small things in life really are big.

I also have had some really great interaction with patients lately. I feel like because I have been here for so long I have some great interactions with individuals that I have seen multiple times. Since I have changed my working days to friday at hospital and monday at the school I also find I am seeing patients I have never seen before because they only come on fridays. It has been a great mix of new and old. I always get so much joy when I see a patient who has a low CD4 count like 84 jump up to a CD4 count of 300 or even more. Just the other day I saw one of my favorite patients jump from 230 something to 580 something. I was so happy to see. Sometimes its hard to remember that these drugs that I talk about all the time actually save life and this week I have been very much reminded of that. God is good. Here in Guyana people talk about faith a lot more openly than in the States and I often find my patients telling me that God alone gets them through the day. Just today a patient said to me: "I don't know about you, but God is the only reason I wake up in the morning somedays". I thought to myself - hmm - I can ALWAYS learn from someone else.

Recently I've found some amazing websites with some really great quotes... I am leaving a few here that really seem to describe my life here. I hope you are all doing well. Please pray for me as I pray for you.

Love always,
Ashley Ann





1 comment:

  1. Hello Ashley! So sorry I haven't posted a comment in awhile but I am so glad to finally have some free time this morning to "stop by" and get caught up with you dear cousin. How cool to feel that you are gaining confidence and maturity in your authority! It is funny how we still feel like our same old selves inside though isn't it? Sort of not sure if we have that strength in power, but sometimes we just have to step out and act like we do, and you know what? God does the rest through us! It sounds as though you have really found your place there and are doing such a great work!

    ReplyDelete