Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Marie and Phillip come to Guyana!!

Hello There!

I am writing my blog a little bit early this week because I will be going to a HINDU WEDDING TOMORROW/SATURDAY/SUNDAY/MONDAY!  Who's excited.... me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to write all about it and put up awesome pictures.

This week has been kind of a roller coaster. I was pretty down on Tuesday when I had to go into work at the hospital. As I was working I was talking to a patient and he was telling me about another friend he knows who has HIV but doesn't want to start treatment. He told me he thought they didn't want to start treatment because they were ashamed to admit to themselves what was going on in their body. He said they have a choice they can choose life or they can choose death. He says: "I choose life". It really hit me, sometimes we are the ones inhibiting ourselves from choosing life. I was thinking about a verse in the book of Deuteronomy which reminded me of this: "Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live!" This patient helped me much more than I could have ever helped him. Choose the good even though sometimes our human nature likes to wallow in the bad. 

That afternoon I saw another patient who is one of my favorites. He said that last time he came into clinic he was looking for me but he couldn't find me. I was really happy to hear an update on his life and just chat with him. He was doing MUCH better than the last time I saw him and to me it was such a relief to see improvements in someone when sometimes all I see is the bad.

After that I thought my depressed mood would surpass but once I walked out of work it slowly started creeping back up on me. I don't know what it was. We went out for dinner with Sarah's friends Phillip and Marie who are visiting from the states. It was really great to have a chance to go and have a nice dinner with beautiful company. Marie and Phillip are a married couple and they reminded me by their love for each other God's love for us. I think they are a perfect example of living love to others. After dinner we ended up going to a rum shop with our friend Ryan who Audrey and I taught computer class with. It was fun and eventually we ended up at Karaoke. I sang complicated by Avril Lavigne. I am normally not the one to sing, but it was fun I guess.

Last night I still was in a sour mood when Audrey and I went over to a friends house just for fun. Audrey made dinner for us all and when she came back from the grocery store she brought me a surprise - CHEESE! I felt better knowing that someone knows the small things in life that can bring you joy. I am very blessed to have such wonderful community members.

Today I met with my student who took me to get my hand done in henna and to buy a Shari for the wedding. When I got home I did some stuff to get ready for the school year and then had a chat with a friend. I don't know what it was but that person always has the ability to bring peace into my life no matter how stressful I feel. I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders and I am glad to say that I now feel much better. Bad feelings gone!


I was thinking about how it is now the end of our community of three and into our community of four. I was to thank Audrey and Sarah for all of the grace they have given me this year. We have stood united through so many different trials and it is because of them that I am a better person that I was a year ago. I came into MVC praying that we would get along - and now I am thanking God for two of my best friends.

I think of them as family because we stand untied. I sometimes hate the phrase: "Well its their life, whatever is best for them is best for them." Families and communities need to stand untied on decisions. If they don't stand together there is going to be tension and anger. If we were were all just islands - it would be fine - but our decisions impact other people and we need to be conscious of this. Sometimes we are unwilling to listen to other people and understand their perspective. A family divided only breeds hate - not love. Make decisions based on whats best for everyone in the situation and remember to listen, we all have problems with listening. Speak your truth, listen to the truth of others and be open to a new outcome.

Can't wait to tell you about my Hindu experience!!

Love and prayers,

Ashley Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment