Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Long way to town

Hello All,

Another week has quickly passed. I am glad to be coming to you in good health and spirits. I hope the same goes for all of you! :)

Last weekend I am not quite sure where I left you, but I indeed had a fun weekend. I went out with a couple of friends on friday night. It was a really laid back night which was needed. One of my friends in the group was going to be leaving the country soon so it was good to spend time with him. Saturday we had a crazy wind/rain storm which left our yard slightly flooded. I ended up staying in the house until the late afternoon where I went to town and then to Mass. Sunday I spent the day hanging with some good friends. We spent the whole day talking, cooking and eating! :) It was really good to get out of the house and just have a laid back day. Sunday night we went out to the sea wall. We ended up staying out quite late because Monday was once again a national holiday. :)

Monday was emancipation day. They had a large event in the national park with lots of African dancing, food and craft. I went with a couple of my friends and we had a good time walking through. When we got into the stadium where they had the dancing the president was there. We ended up taking a picture with the president. I thought it would have been really exciting but it was just like seeing any other person. He didn't have as much security as you would have thought and anyone who wanted to could just walk up to him. Interesting difference?!

Tuesday after working we ended up having some of the orphanage boys stay the night at our house again. They are always really sweet but a lot of energy. It is good to get them out of the orphanage and give them some good one on one attention.

On wednesday this week I got on a bus which was suppose to bring me to the big market in town, Stabroek Market, I ended up somewhere near there but at the gas station filling up. I had to laugh to myself because there was no warning, no indication just a random series of turns and then a stop to fill up. It ended up being convienent for me because I was able to catch the bus to take me home from right across the street. Later that day I ended up having to go back to the big market to meet a friend. I caught another bus which was strangely filled with LARGE quanities of vegetables. When we were halfway to the big market we made another series of turns and ended up at another market called Bourda market. I just laughed as they unloaded all of the stuff and then put us back in to get to our real destination. I was really frustrated at first but then I had to remind myself I will get where I need to go, its just a little bit longer, and a little bit more comical.

Mini buses can be crazy :)

Yesterday Audrey and I ended up taking a small adventure to the city Bartica. To get there you have to take a bus/car to one city and then catch at one hour boat ride to another city. The trip itself was fine. When we got there our other friend who was with us had to go do some work at the hospital so we went and sat by the river. It was really peaceful and calming to go and sit by the water. We walked around the city when our friend finished work and then ended up eating lunch and heading back home. The last 20 minutes of the boat ride were SUPER rough. When were were in the last 30 seconds or so Audrey says to me: Waters more rough than this morning. I couldn't help but laugh - it was like she just had noticed what was really going on although we had been tossed around the boat for the last 20 minutes. I make fun of her out of love, and also out of the fact that I wasn't the one who had to go to the bathroom when the boat was throwing us around... :) Don't worry she made it!

Today I have just finished work and am not sure what the weekend will bring. I really enjoy living life without too many plans. If I ever have to, which I know I will, I will have a hard time with a planner style life.

August 4th was both my cousin Aaron's birthday and the feast of St. John Vianney. I went to daily mass to remember my two friends who are both about to enter into their last year of seminary.  The priest emphasized the importance of confession during his homily. St. John Vianney was known for sitting in the confessional for 12+ hours and people would travel from all over to have their confessions heard by him. I sometimes forget the beauty of the priest, the sacraments, and the dedication. I need to stop seeing life and church as something on sunday and remember it throughout the week.


I missed my cousin Aaron on his birthday! I spent a lot of time with him while we were growing up. I could write a ton of embarrassing stories on here - but I could never do him that. :) I remember him giving me copious amounts of catching gear and making me catch balls while he pitched to me, creating duct tape ladders on the driveway so he could train from hockey, playing goalie and countless other random activies that allowed him to practice his sports. If he ever goes professional in anything he owes me one. :)

For now - this is all. Almost to the one year mark!!! Less than one month away. Please pray for Meg Eckart our new community member who will be joining us soon!!

Love and prayers,

Ashley Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment