Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Sick Sick Bad

Dear friends and family,


Hello! I hope you all had a very blessed week since I last posted. I often find when I ask my students how they are doing they tell me they have had a blessed week - it makes you think more than when people just respond good. My week has definitely been blessed!
Last weekend we had a very very relaxing weekend. Friday night we just hung out and talked with a few friends - Saturday we stayed home and watched a movie - and then on Sunday we took an excursion to a pool!!! That may have been my favorite part of the weekend. We were all SOOO hot on Sunday morning and I didn't know how I was ever going to cool down. So we decided to go swimming and the cheapest pool we could find - was actually one of the nicer ones. We spent a good day bonding the three of us. We mostly "limed" in the pool and chatted. We also had a hand stand competition which I lost horribly!!! Sarah and I ate ice cream which was probably the closest to American ice cream that I could find - however - don't get me wrong... The ice cream is still NOTHING compared to American ice cream - but at least it is cold!!
The week was not too exciting. Work has been good. The boy that I help read during lunch has had a cough for over 4 weeks now and I have been fighting with him to go to the doctor - however he refuses. I got another teacher to have my back and finally he agreed to go tomorrow - so we will see on Monday if he actually went! On thursday I had to go to the bus park to catch a Plasiance bus and none of the other teachers were going that day so I had him "carry" (take) me to the right bus to get on. We were with a few other trainees (students) and he kept saying "Miss - don't be afraid". I am never really afraid - but I think it is always a good reminder to relax. I always find so much joy from my students even the students who give me the greatest problems.
One girl especially gives me an extreme amount of problems. At first it was easy to get really mad at her but for the past three weeks I have worked extra hard on making sure that I was patient with her and didn't take her outburst of rage personally. Today she had another outburst of anger and instead of yelling I pulled her out of class and asked her what was wrong. After a few questions she broke down and ended up telling me how she feels upset and angry all the time because she has a lack of respect in her life and she can't take it when people are disrespectful to her. It was a really good conversation in the end in which she agreed to work with me to find ways to healthily deal with her anger rather than lashing out in class. Many times when people are upset or angry we take it out on someone who is near us - rather than looking at the facts. In our house we always think before getting into a big discussion "Am I Hungry, Lonely, Angry or Tired". If one of us fits into that category - emotions are probably going to run high and we should look at the benefit of the other person. I do the same thing with my students. I realize there is nothing I could have done to make them blow up in outrage - rather I just need to be full of mercy in my response to them. (And also use discipline that is constructive)
My job at the hospital was good this week. I am basically just shadowing and answering basic questions for patients - but soon enough it will pick up and get busy. I am enjoying my down day away from the school.
I forgot one of the BEST parts of the week. My student Naameshawari brought me Roti and Chicken Curry for lunch one day. IT WAS AMAZING. It is by FAR my new favorite Guyanese food!!! Her aunt and grandmother sell it at a market and Audrey and I might take an adventure saturday mid morning for some because its really really cheap and Sarah is at work so we need to find something to do!
Anyway. I showed some of the girls in my class a picture of me my mom and "my auntie" as they would say - They were convinced that my auntie Annie was my mother! And if she wasn't my mother than she was definately my sister. Out of all my girls only two thought my mother was actually my mother. I think it might have been a height thing. I also showed the girls a picture of my cousins - one of my girls said she was in "love" with my cousin Nick and that I need to bring him to Guyana so that they could get married. It was fun to share a little bit of home with them!
I have received a few letters since being here and I really appreciate them. I have to give a shout out to my auntie Annie for sending me the letter with the best pictures - and a shout out to my God Mother (God Mother is more important to say than aunt here - so I am saying God Mother) for sending me the best cards!!! My whole house laughed at the last one - and if I had a scanner I would put it on the internet for you all to see!! Also a shout out to Tasha and Brandon for sending me my first Guyanese package!!

Anyway. I promise to write more next week - but for now this is what I have.

I send you my love and prayers - and ask that next time someone blows up at you - be merciful and take a second to see what the real problem is - maybe, just maybe - they are in need of help greater than you could ever realize.

Love,

Ashley Ann




P.S. Sick Sick Bad means you REALLY like something - I like Guyana Sick Sick Bad Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment