Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Choas, Chaos, Chaos

I used to think that Georgetown was a busy place... but since christmas is just now - THIS PLACE IS CHAOS. There are people everywhere.

This week has been a really interesting week. I had finished all of the cirriculum for my students and all of my assesments were due on Monday so whatever I was going to do with them was going to be not graded.... Since only 5 students showed up each day we took some time just to relax and have fun. One day we went into the computer room and had a paint competition. The other day we sat around and discussed different things. I also got shipped some of the other students from different classes because so few students showed up. On the last day of school they just sent the students to me in the computer room and I let them play games. It was a really good time because I was able to give some of them one on one attention. I realize that this is almost the most important part of my job just being. I don't need to even always talk with them or listen but just be there and make jokes. On the last day we had our school party. That was good it was just basically hanging out and talking with all of the students.

We finished our Novena yesterday morning. I made it every morning at 5:30 except for one when I had a fever and Sarah (nurse) told me to go back to bed. I then went later that night at 5:30. (The pm mass is for "pansies") (just kidding) I really enjoyed the masses. On the last day two of the sisters (Celine Marie and Noel) gave us a nice big envelope with THREE SNICKERS IN IT! They said they were so proud of us for making it all nine days every morning on time. We decided to call them our "Sugar Mommys" because they randomly give us sweets! :) Its an awesome relationship.

A few times this week I was at the bus park for a random reason and saw some of my students. They then asked me if we could go for a walk around the market area. It was really good to spend time with them because I feel like I get to see a lot more things when I am with them. One day we were walking around and they walked me back to the bus and said: "Miss, enough people like you". It was really hilarious because they were referring to all the people yelling "white girl". It was really cute. I even saw a ton of fruit from my time with the students - One of my girls took our a piece of gum and offered me half. And now this may seem little to you - but for her it was a great step in the right direction. She has a beautiful heart that has been trampled on too often. She is so guarded and angry she very seldom lets kindness in or out. I can see a change coming from her - and I am glad because she truly is very sweet.

This morning I went to the bus park because the Cathedral was locked when I tried to pray so I went to grab a bus. (and the bus park and big market are next to each other and I wanted some oranges) So anyway I'm walking to the market and I see two of my students and one of their mother. His mother sells food at the market. I have always been afriad to be ripped off but I decided to eat because she invited me to come sit inside her stand. I ate some cook up - which had chicken foot in it. I couldn't eat the chicken foot because it grossed me out too much - but the rest was really good. And it was at that moment that I was sitting their with their family and my other student watching them sell the food and talking with them that I realized how lucky I am to truly get experiences like this. I have many friends who work at the US embassy who would never come down to the park - much less sit in a stand and talk. And I also found that I got so much respect. When I first started using the bus park (specifically Sophia section) people used to call out to me all the time. But now they all call me miss. (Because i'm a teacher) Even the adults there call me miss. I also feel like a lot of people are looking out for me. For example on friday I got to the bus park and had to go to work but because the student's didn't have to go and A field is very unpopular they weren't sending any A field buses. So since everyone who works there knows where I go they put me on a B field bus and had the driver bring me to the school. And at one point I didn't understand what the driver was trying to ask me on the bus and a lady (who I don't know) told him I was a teacher at Mercy Wings and to drop me there. It was good :)

Anyway ... I have plenty of christmas things to do now. I have a christmas party to go to for the orphanage boys... last night we had our party for work staff. I feel that although I have the next two weeks off I will be plenty busy. This also makes me miss my Grandma Theresa terribly because I have to dress up a lot. And now in Guyana everything has to be neatly pressed... well - I never pressed things because I always would just throw them on ... but I tell you that before I stepped out that door Grandma made me take it off and she would iron it for me. :) Now I had to do all my ironing myself :(. I also have to go and buy a christmas dress. I brought 5 dresses from the states and last night I wore the smallest one I had to the party and it was still much to large. I guess its a good problem to have but not when christmas is just a few days away and you need clothes!!!

Know that I am thinking and praying for everyone back home. Please pray for us we will have three little orphan boys over at our house for Christmas. I am SUPER excited! I am going to love having a little "family" for christmas.

My last thought for the week comes from a song I have been listening to over and over again this week... "If I could tell the world just one thing... I'd say were all okay"

It will be okay - the only thing you have control of is yourself, so although you may be in a tough situation you can't change someone elses dispositon... therefore you must change your own. Go into the Christmas season aiming to change one of your dispositions in your heart you know is wrong towards someone else. I know I will be...

May God Bless you all -

Ashley Ann


P.S. HAHAHA you all got snow!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment