Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Week One

Dear Friends and Family,

Goodnight! (This is a greeting in Guyana rather than a way to say goodbye - how confusing!)

I can't believe it has almost been a week since I have been here in Georgetown - time seems to run away. I feel as if I just flew in this morning.

The first morning we arrived here at the convent around 9:30 am. The sisters were all very excitied to meet us and it was soo hard to try and memorize names. At this point I had been awake for almost 24 hours. I spent most of the day sleeping - when I got up we ate, hung out, and then went back to bed.

We spent little time resting as early the next morning we went to the hospital for a tour. It is hard to describe the hospital because it is So different from a US hospital. Also, part of the hospital had recently burnt down so many things had been rearannged from how they normally are. The sanitation is ovbiously not the greatest - but the people there try to do the best they can with what they have.

After that we went to Mercy Wings the vocational school where I will be working. They had us sit in on a lecture about classroom management. This was interesting because discipline here is similar to the States but also different. It was hard to understand everything because everyone has such a strong accent. You would think they were speaking a different language rather than english.

After that we went to the Orphanage where I think I feel in love with the cute little boys. They are all very adorable and have TONS of energy. I can't wait to begin working with them more often.

Mr. Lambert the convent driver has been taking us around Georgetown. He is a very funny man - although he drives a little crazy. Everyone here drives a little crazy. The other day we were driving by a cemetary and all of their graves are about ground - he said to me "It is better to die in Guyana" I asked why? and he stated "Because then when Jesus comes you are already above ground". I thought that was very funny.

Sister Denise has taken us shopping and to our new house. I am excitied to move into our own place but do also enjoy living with the sisters here. One of the young sisters here Jouanna has been showing us how to cook Guyanese food. It has been fun - although she likes to cook late at night and by then I am already so tired it is hard to stay awake.

We have been able to go to Daily Mass - the priest is from Ireland and I really enjoy his accent. He is quite funny.

I begin work on Monday morning and have already been into work several times. It has been good to jump right into something - it gives me a pretty predictable routine.

This misquitos here are not quite as bad as I thought that they would be. They are more bad in the sense of all of the diseases they carry. Don't get me wrong - I have plenty of bites to show the fact that there are misquitos but they have not yet driven me out of the country. The heat finally got to me today because there was no breeze compared to the other days when there had been a breeze.

There are so many things that have gone on since I have been here and these few things hardly shead a light onto what I have experience - however I guess it is a small start to help you to understand. I am not yet homesick - however I believe that is because I have not yet had time to think about home. I spend most of my time trying to translate what people are saying into english - or finding the nearest fan to escape the heat. I have enjoyed every moment here and Thank God for the little blessings. I know I will grow in patience as you it is a requirement for entering into a new culture.

I will try and write again soon enough -

Love and prayers,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment