Whatsoever you do to the least of My people, that you do unto Me.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Sea Turtle?!?

Hello All,

I haven't written since my family left about life here so I guess I have two weeks to catch up on. My family left on the 5th of June and that day was filled with a large nap and then I went to hang out with some of my friends on the sea wall. I really enjoy spending time just sitting on the sea wall - there is always a really great breeze and its a very relaxing spot. I had to stay up that night until 12 am + because I was going to the airport with Sarah and our friend Alex to pick up Sarah's friend Jonathon. It was a nice trip because there was very little traffic and I forget how much I miss riding in cars. Yes, I do get to ride in buses and taxis but I miss taking long drives. I never thought I would miss that long drive from Morris to Ely. :)

Work at the hospital for the past two weeks has been really rewarding. I had a man come in the other day who just loved to talk. We weren't really talking about anything in particular but he just wanted to talk. I ended up spending close to two hours with him in an educational session that would have normally taken a half hour. I guess the great thing about it is that I have learned just to let people talk and enjoy the time. It was a slow day and I didn't have anything else pressing to get done so I kept reminding myself to be present at the moment. Also I have realized how glad I am to have such wonderful co-workers at Mercy. They always have interesting stories and make me laugh. They keep telling me how Guyanese I am becoming and it is quite amusing. They laugh because I like hot pepper sauce and when I first came I couldn't take any heat.

Jonathon Sarah's friend was here for the first week and we had a really good time. On last wednesday we went out to the coffee shop together and it was really fun. It was good to see one of Sarah's friends and see a little bit more of what her past life was like. You can hear so much about a person but until you meet them it is hard to put everything together.

Last friday there were some short term volunteers here and another friend invited them over to their house so we went as well. It was good to answer questions about Guyana. One of the young men was interested in doing overseas service and he asked me a whole bunch of questions about it. One of his greatest fears was the people were going to forget him. I told him that yes some people do forget you, but in the end the people who don't forget you are the ones who really matter. It shows you who is important in your life and who it is time to move on from. Although at times this can be really painful it can also be like a good cleaning of your social life. It can also help you to remember to focus on who is really important in your life.

On Saturday night before Jonathon flew out a bunch of us went to the seawall to chill. My friend and I were standing out by the ocean and we ended up seeing a SEA TURTLE!!! It was quite crazy. We called our friends over and they all saw it. The turtle was being confused by the lights of the city and couldn't find the ocean. We picked up the turtle and carried him back to the ocean. He really shouldn't have been trying to lay eggs by GT anyway - I hope that he found a nice beach somewhere down the coast.

Sunday I did some cooking and brought some food over by a friend. It was a lot of fun to do and Audrey and I ended up spending the whole day over there. We really didn't do anything. I think that is the thing I enjoy most about being here is the fact that some days we can really just do nothing but just enjoy the simple things of life. I have learned to slow down and become relaxed. Life really can be simple sometimes.

After all of this took place and this week approached I realized how Chaotic my room had become. I spent some good time listening to my favorite band, the fray, and organized everything in my room. My family brought me a bunch of stuff and when I looked at it all I realized I had enough deodorant to last me until the apocalypse. The funny thing is Sarah came and told me that she just went and bought some - we all laughed at the irony! I told her she should have come to the "Ashley deodorant store".

We had a farewell mass this tuesday for two Jesuit priest who are leaving the country. It was beautiful to think of all the wonderful things they have done for the country of Guyana. It made me realize how quickly 2 years can go and made me a little bit sad that someday I too will have to leave this place. I really am blessed to have the opportunity to live here.

Last night we ended up going out to say goodbye to the volunteers. Many of the sisters and boys from the boys home were there. It was good to talk with them all. In the end the volunteers gave us a bunch of shampoo which was really appreciated!! They were all really sweet people and it was beautiful to see the love they had for the boys.

The last thing that I really didn't talk about was the fact that Drew and Seth were ordained deacons last friday. This was really difficult for me to miss as both of them are so close to my heart. I know that they will do beautiful things for the Church throughout their lives. Drew and Seth both encourage me to be a better person. They help me to remember that no matter what I am struggling with back home someone really cares for me and loves me. Often times when I find letters from Drew and Seth in my mail box I don't even want to open them because I want to save it for a really special time. Of course I can't wait for that but I do enjoy every word they write - its like receiving love in an envelope.

"Teach us to give and not to count the cost" - St. Ignatius of Loyola.

This quote is one that reminds me of their unfailing friendship - I could never repay them for their dedication and love that they have shown me. They truly show me the face of Christ.

I pray that you will all have a blessed and great week. Until next week!

Much Love,

Ashley Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment